U.N. World Food Program Warns of Worsening Hunger
Welcome to Foreign policyAfrica’s summary.
The most prominent events this week: Sudanese refugees The face is increasing hunger amid unprecedented discounts, analysts are still skeptical in A new peace deal Between the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Rwanda, and tensions in South Africa A fragile alliance government.
Cut the aid pushing the Sudanese refugees to hunger
On Monday, the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) warned that Sudanese refugees who fled to neighboring African countries – including the Central African Republic, Egypt and Ethiopia – increased hunger after the cuts in global aid.
“This is a complete regional crisis that is operated in countries that already have extremist levels of food insecurity and high levels of conflict,” said Sean Hughes, emergency coordinator in the regional crisis in Sudan.
More than 4 million people from Sudan have escaped since the outbreak of the civil war between the Sudanese army and the semi -military rapid support forces (RSF) in April 2023. Although this is the largest displacement crisis in the world, it has survived greatly from global attention and was overwhelmed in conflicts in the Middle East and Oclin.
At the same time, humanitarian agencies are facing unprecedented discounts in global aid, especially since governments enhance defense spending. During the era of President Donald Trump, the United States, the largest donor of foreign aid in the world, reduced aid by about 56 percent compared to 2023; Germany and the United Kingdom cut 27 percent assistance and 39 percent, respectively.
These cuts are a severe threat to the United Nations humanitarian action. Last week, the World Food Program said it might need to suspend food aid to more than 235,000 refugees in Egypt by August if it is not able to meet the decisive deficiency of $ 23 million. As of February, the United Nations Refugee Agency has received only 14 percent from more than $ 409 million in which it needs to support 1.3 million people from the displaced by force in Chad, most of whom are black.
Inside Sudan, famine was confirmed in at least 10 regions, with 17 other sites at risk. About 26 million people – more than half of the country’s population – extreme levels of hunger. But from March, the United Nations Plan for Needs and the response to the United Nations responding at a value of only $ 252.6 million from only $ 4.2 billion required to support humanitarian efforts in the country.
Meanwhile, the conflict has entered a new stage in recent months as both sides intensified its use of drones, which analysts believe come from China, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates. In May, Amnesty International identified the use of advanced Chinese drones in the RSF attack that killed 13 people, noting that the UAE “certainly” provided drones.
In March, Sudan filed a case against the United Arab Emirates before the International Court of Justice (ICJ), accusing the country of “collusion in collective genocide” in unwanted societies by supporting RSF. Two months later, the International Court of Justice rejected the case, saying that the court lacks the authority to hear it because the United Arab Emirates had chosen an article from the genocide agreement that allows countries to prosecute each other because of the alleged genocide in the International Court of Justice. The United Arab Emirates has repeatedly denied the support of RSF.
Jean -Pierre Lacrox, the United Nations General of Peace Operations, warned last Thursday that the conflict was leaking on the southwestern border of Sudan to the Central African Republic. He told the United Nations Security Council that “the Sudanese armed elements” were responsible for killing a peacekeeper in Zambian in June near the border.
The civil war of Sudan has already complexed tensions in the Supreme Nile region of South Sudan, and as it continues to escalate, analysts fear that it will spread throughout the region.
next week
Wednesday, July 2, to Wednesday, July 9: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Moody Ghana and Namibia are scheduled to visit as part of a five -year -old -focusing mineral round.
Sunday, July 6: Brazil hosts the BRICS summit for two days in Rio de Janeiro. Egypt, Ethiopia and South Africa will attend as members, while Nigeria is scheduled to attend as a partner nation.
Eight OPEC countries, including Algeria, leads a virtual meeting.
Monday, July 7: The deadline for accusations against the opposition’s personality held at Victoire ingabire Umuhoza.
What we watch
Can I hold a peace agreement in the Congo? On Friday, the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo signed a peace agreement in which the United States, which seeks to reach critical minerals in the Congo, where Chinese companies maintain the mining sector. Although Rwanda denies its involvement in the Congo conflict, UN experts say the country has up to 4000 soldiers fighting alongside the M23 rebels who seized parts of the Eastern Congo this year.
According to Financial timesThe COUTAN deal can be seen from the Robia site in the Northern Kevo County in Congo, which was legally transferred to Rwanda. There, Countain will be treated for export in the Kigali fuse, which was designed by a consortium, which includes the Rwandan investor, Nagali Holdeng. Mercuria collection; The American First Global, an investment company headed by Gentry Beach, is the director of the Texas Hedge Fund, which was the main donation collection of Trump’s 2016 campaign.
However, many analysts and Congolese are skeptical that the deal will always bring peace. The fighting in the East Congo was exposed to more than three decades and explained at least 7 million people. Critics ask how to apply the deal, especially since the M23 runs the government of a parallel agent across the areas it has seized since January, as taxes collect mining operations – including in Rubaya. =
The M23 rebels suggested that the agreement would not be bound for them because they were not included in the negotiations. Meanwhile, former Congolese President Joseph Kabila described the deal as “more than a commercial agreement.”
The shaky South Africa alliance. Tensions within the government of national unity that caused South Africa in South Africa are already escalating after the Democratic Alliance (DA), the second largest party in the coalition, on Sunday from a national dialogue planned by President Cyril Ramavusa in August.
This announcement came after Ramavusa launched a member of DA and the Deputy Minister of Commerce Andrew Witfield during an unauthorized trip to the United States this year. Since the coalition was formed last year, the ruling African National congress (ANC) and DA have clashed on a number of issues, including tax policy, land reforms and a draft language education law.
Although the coalition government will remain sound at the present time, Da is likely to continue to oppose the budget voices of government departments headed by the African National Congress Party ministers, which is a challenge to Ramavusa’s presidency at the time of the severe audit of the Trump administration. These tensions can lead to this to achieve a movement without confidence against Ramavusa.
Baby soldiers Mozambique. The young man kidnapped at least 120 children in recent days in Cabo Deljado Province in northern Mozambique. The terrorist group forces many children to become fighters or brides of children, according to Human Rights Watch.
The Islamic rebellion began in Cabo Deljado in 2017, and is partially led by social and economic exclusion, youth indignation, and the extraction of rich gas deposits by international companies. Violence in the province explained more than 1.4 million people.
Angolan investment. Last week, Angola became the latest sovereign contributor to Africa Financial Company, and the country has adhered to about $ 185 million of stocks in stocks to the infrastructure financier in Lagos, a major developer in the Lopito Corridor, a US -backed railway project to help important minerals.
In 2024, Africa Finance Corp. exceeded. One billion dollars of total revenue for this year for the first time in its history, with new investments from Turk Eximbank and the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa, among other institutions.
This week in culture
The Senate Committee in Nigeria gathered on compensation and return to the homeland, which was formed last year, with other African policy makers on Monday to discuss how to move forward in searching for a stolen cultural artifact review as well as a remedy for economic exploitation.
In June, the Netherlands returned to Nigeria 119 bronze boys that were looted by British soldiers in 1897. Bronz Benin is a group of 5,000 pieces of artifacts, which were largely made in the fourteenth to sixteenth century, which adorns the Royal Palace of the Kingdom of Benin now in Nigeria.
Nigeria intends to accommodate the artworks returning in two planning museums in the city of Benin, the Museum of West Africa and the Royal Boys Museum.
In recent years, the Metropolitan Museum of Arts in New York and the Netherlands has also restored some europhy -essential artifacts from the Eve Empire in what is now known southwest of Nigeria. Yoruba is now shown at the John Randel Center for the Culture and History of Europa, a museum opened in Lagos last October.
Read the most read this week
What we read
Kenya champion original languages. The Kenyan literary giant NGũGĩ Wa Thiong’o died at the age of 87. His last book, End linguistic colonialism and other revolutionary ideasHe was published a few weeks before his death.
in RepublicThe author Sarah Ladipo Manica tells her friendship with NGũGĩ. “The role of NGũGĩ was a language warrior and a revolutionary publication linked to the importance of novel novel,” she wrote. “The narrators of the stories were the main, especially attracted to the novel of the oral stories.”
The last strange scene in Nigeria? The popularity of the underground delirium clubs in Lagos has eroded a historically safe space for LGBTQ individuals in Nigeria, according to Rabi Madiki reports in continent.
“What started as an intimate, protective spaces for the Queer, is now a clear major scene, with the care and manifestations of celebrities in large places … What was previously a strange shelter that now requires performance, calculation and self -measurement,” she wrote.
Don’t miss more hot News like this! Click here to discover the latest in Politics news!
2025-07-02 05:00:00


