Tariff deals with foreign governments not a priority for Donald Trump, say US officials

In the weeks before the “Liberation Day” in Donald Trump, diplomats and foreign officials were broadcast via Washington to secure the Holy Cup: a deal that the president could not reject and provide its definition.
No one succeeded. Trump has rarely used the emergency powers that unleash the definitions ranging from 10 percent and 50 percent against almost each country in the world, with a global trading system that he said was “separated” from the United States for decades.
Now the world is asking whether he wants to keep the tariffs or only look forward to negotiation – a question that has become increasingly necessary with the sharp decline in global stock markets in the wake of Trump’s announcement.
But two days after the president announced a widespread tariff in the Pink White House park, US officials indicate that deals with foreign governments are not his priority, although Trump is talking to Vietnam leader, to Lam, on Friday.
Trump described his first call with a foreign leader since Wednesday’s announcement “producer”, after Lam offered to cut Hanoi’s tariff on American goods to scratch.
But White House officials have warned of the president’s openness to “picking up the phone” to a foreign leader who should not be confused in serious negotiations that would reduce the customs tariff.
They added that the White House focuses on implementing the fees, indicating that Washington will set a high tape of any agreement to reduce the measures.
One of the White House officials said: “President Trump is always ready to make a phone call from a foreign leader and discuss potential deals, but they are not negotiations until they become negotiations.”
Earlier in the day, Trump seemed to double his major tariff, although the worst defeat of Wall Street since the Covid-19 2020 crisis.
“For many investors coming to the United States and investing huge amounts of money, my policies will never change,” Trump has published his social platform. “This is a great time to get richer, wealthy than ever !!!”
The officials were in an effort to clarify that the customs tariff – which was applied using the United States Economic Forces law – was in response to decades of alleged commercial practices by the main partners and allies in Washington, and is designed to reformulate the United States to manufacture and promote American jobs.
“This is not negotiations,” said a senior White House official on Wednesday. “It is a state of national emergency.”
One of the persons familiar with the administration’s thinking said that Trump understood that to attract companies to transfer their manufacturing operations to the United States, the definitions should be permanent. “The companies need to be certain that this is the new policy environment,” the person said.
The White House official said the United States does not speak to other countries about “specific concessions.” “The thing we look at is the trade deficit,” they said.
On Friday, Scott Bessin, US Treasury Secretary, rejected the possibility of rapid negotiations with major trading partners to reduce fees.
“I think what will be more important than discussion with the countries is the discussion with companies,” Pesin said in an interview with Taker Karlson, the right -wing media host, which was broadcast on Friday.

BESSENT’s attempts to calm the markets were limited to the data previously made that the customs tariff will only increase for the countries that took revenge on American trade measures – otherwise the fees this week will be the upper limit.
On Friday, Beijing responded to the United States, which put an additional tariff of 34 percent on Chinese imports by conducting a 34 percent tariff of US imports to China.
Trump took social media to express his anger. “China has played wrongly, I felt panic – the only thing they could not do!” , Written by social fact.
Pesin Carlson told the “dream scenario” that it would be a big deal in which Beijing balanced its economic model, but he warned that this would not happen “in one month” but “during the next few years, they may have to come.”
He added: “The Europeans go to kick and scream, but I think they will have to balance it too.”
The correspondence has not prevented diplomats and business personalities from trying to reach the president in recent days.
The European Union’s Supreme Trade diplomat, Maroš šefčovič, spoke with US Minister of Commerce Howard Lootnick and American Trade Representative Jamieson Greer on Friday. Šefčovič told them that the mass is “committed to meaningful negotiations”, according to the meeting of the meeting.
Evertt Eissenstat, a former trading official at the first Trump mission at the White House and a partner in Squire Patton Boggs, believes that the president is open to amazing deals.
But he warned: “I also think at the end of the day that the customs tariff will be higher, so we are likely to end in a unique way, with a global tariff that negotiates flexibility.”
2025-04-05 12:00:00